Classic Beef Stroganoff
Rich creamy grave with sliced steak over extra wide egg noddles.
- 1 lb. beef tenderloin or sirloin steak, about 1/2 thick.
- 2 Tbl butter or margarine
- 1/2 lb mushrooms washed, trimmed & sliced (Optional)
- 1 Med. Onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) condensed beef broth or bouillon.
- 2 Tbl Catsup
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbl flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 to 4 cups hot cooked noddles (see recpies for homemade noddles)
Cut meat across the grain into 1/2-3 trips, about 11/2 inch long. Melt butter in large skillet. Add onions & mushrooms; cook and stir until onion is tender, then remove from skillet. In same skillet, cook meat until light brown. Reserving 1/3 cup of the broth, stir in remaining broth, the catsup, garlic and salt. Cover; simmer for 15 minutes.
Blend reserved broth and flour; stir into meat mixture. Add onions & mushrooms. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat. Serve over noodles.