Quinoa-Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 2 small delicata squash (12-14 ounces each), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup water plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Land O Lakes Butter Light, 4 Sticks
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leek (about 1 large), white and light green parts only
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from EATINGWELL.COM
To prepare squash: Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Season insides of squash with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and arrange cut-side down on the prepared pan. Bake the squash until the flesh is tender but the sides are not collapsing, 20 to 25 minutes total. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
To prepare stuffing: Meanwhile, combine 1 cup water, quinoa and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add leek and the remaining 2 tablespoons water. Season with thyme, nutmeg and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leek is tender but not brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in raisins during the last 2 minutes.
Stir the quinoa, hazelnuts and parsley into the leek mixture. Spoon the quinoa mixture into the squash halves, firmly packing as need. Cut the remaining 1 tablespoon butter into slivers and distribute evenly over the tops.
Bake the squash until the stuffing is heated through, about 15 minutes.
TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5 and refrigerate for up to 1 day; reheat in a 350°F oven.