Buttermilk-Battered Calamari, Mixed Greens, Leek Dressing
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 pound cleaned calamari (squid) bodies cut 1/2"-wide
- rings, tentacles left intact
- 5 ounces mixed baby greens
- Leek Dressing (see recipe)
- 2 plum tomatoes seeded, chopped
Pour buttermilk into large bowl. Place flour in another large bowl. Season flour with salt and pepper. Pour vegetable oil into heavy large saucepan. Heat to 375 degrees.
Working in batches, dip calamari pieces into buttermilk, turning to coat. Remove from buttermilk and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Carefully add calamari to saucepan. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels; drain. Repeat with remaining calamari, buttermilk and flour.
Divide greens among 4 plates. Place calamari atop greens, dividing equally. Spoon Leek Dressing over salads. Garnish with chopped tomatoes; serve.
This recipe yields 4 first-course servings.