Thai Lemongrass And Chile Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large lemongrass stalks peeled, and cut into 4" pieces
- 3 dried Thai Kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons roasted chile paste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped oyster or white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup finely-chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 small hot green chiles - (to 3) seeded, halved
In medium saucepan, heat vegetable broth to a simmer with lemongrass and lime leaves if desired.
In small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring often, about 30 seconds. When broth has simmered for 5 minutes, remove lemongrass and lime leaves and discard. Add cooked garlic and ginger to broth. Return broth to a boil, and stir in chile paste and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms have wilted, about 30 seconds, then stir in lime juice and soy sauce. Remove from heat, and ladle soup into small bowls.
Top each bowl with chopped tomatoes, cilantro and a pinch of hot green chiles if desired. Alternatively, tomatoes and chiles can be mixed together and placed in small serving bowl for people to help themselves.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving: 95 Cal; 4g Prot; 2g Total Fat (0 Sat. Fat); 16g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 1061mg Sod.; 2g Fiber.