Goat Cheese, Bacon and Olive Quick Bread
Quick breads like this one by star blogger David Lebovitz are very popular in France, where they're known as savory cakes. This one is packed with olives, cheese and bacon, and infused with cayennne.
- 6 slices of thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme leaves
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; line the bottom with parchment paper. In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
In a bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, cayenne and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk, olive oil and mustard. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the egg mixture until just combined. Fold in the goat cheese, Parmigiano, olives, bacon, scallions, chile and thyme. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the surface.
Bake the bread until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then run a knife around the loaf to loosen it from the pan. Invert onto a plate and let cool completely. Cut the loaf into thick slices and serve.
The bread can be wrapped well in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 1 week.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Breakfast Bread 5/5 (1 Votes)
- To Die For Blueberry Muffins 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Wilted Spinach Salad with grilled... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Pepper for... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Touchdown Chicken Wing Dip 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Crockpot ranch pork chops 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork Chop Supper 5/5 (1 Votes)
- salad dressing - olive garden... 5/5 (1 Votes)