- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups chopped ripe juicy tomatoes with
- 1/4 cup water (or 16-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups cooked brown rice - (abt 1 cup raw)
- 1 can black-eyed peas - (16 oz) drained, rinsed (or 2 cups cooked - abt 2/3 cup raw)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a very large skillet or a stir-fry pan. Sauté the onions over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onions are golden. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, and thyme; cook until the tomatoes have softened a bit, about 5 minutes.
Add the rice and black-eyed peas, and season to taste with salt and lots of pepper. Stir well, then simmer, covered, over low heat for 15 minutes. If the mixture seems dry, add a bit of water or cooking liquid from the peas. Serve at once.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.