Greek-Flavored Spinach And Orzo Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion or sliced leek
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves - (to 3) minced
- 3/4 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 can diced tomatoes - (16 oz)
- 5 ounces fresh spinach - (to 6) rinsed, stemmed, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or dill or more to taste (or a combination)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion or leek and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and garlic and sauté the vegetables for another 5 to 8 minutes, or until the onion or leek turns golden and the red pepper softens.
In the meantime, cook the orzo in a separate saucepan until al dente. When done, drain.
Add the 5 cups water, the bouillon cubes, and tomatoes to the soup pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Add the cooked orzo to the soup along with the spinach and herbs. Stir in the lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Greek Stewed Potatoes, Green... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fettuccine With Silken Tofu... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Eggplant-Ricotta 'Sandwiches' 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cold Spiral Pasta With Peas And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp And Chive Ravioli With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamed Spinach 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Arugula And Fennel Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach And Three Cheese Ravioli... 0/5 (0 Votes)