- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 5 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- or half of a 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or crumbled queso fresco (2 ounces)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
Cooking time 40mins
Preheat oven to 300°F. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Dip tortillas, one at a time, into oil just until hot. Drain on paper towels (do not stack), reserving oil in skillet. Keep four of the tortillas warm on a baking sheet in oven. Set aside remaining tortilla.
For salsa, add onion and garlic to the skillet; cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chile peppers, cilantro, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to ablender or food processor. Tear reserved tortilla into pieces; add to blender or food processor. Cover; blend or process until mixture forms a coarse puree. Keep warm.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Carefully break eggs into skillet. When whites are set and edges turn white, add the water. Cover skillet and cook eggs to desired doneness (3 to 4 minutes for soft-set yolks or 4 to 5 minutes for firm-set yolks).
To serve, place a warm tortilla on each of four serving plates. Top each with two fried eggs. Spoon warm salsa over eggs; sprinkle with cheese. If desired, garnish with green onions.