Viennese Plum Cake
The cake is moist and tender with a streusel-like topping and is also good made with blueberries.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh plums (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, optional
•In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
• Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with plums. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over plums.
• For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts if desired. Sprinkle over top.
• Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until topping is golden brown and plums are tender. Cool on a wire rack.