Three-Cheese Fondue With Champagne
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups dry (brut) Champagne
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 2 cups coarsely-grated Gruyère cheese (abt 7 oz)
- 1 1/3 cups coarsely-grated Emmenthal cheese (abt 5 oz)
- 1/2 cup diced rindless Brie or Camembert cheese (abt 3 oz)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg - (generous)
- 1 pinch freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 French-bread baguette crust left on, and bread cut into 1" cubes
Stir cornstarch and lemon juice in small bowl until cornstarch dissolves; set aside.
Combine Champagne and shallot in fondue pot or heavy medium saucepan; simmer over medium heat 2 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Add all cheeses and stir to combine. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Return fondue pot to medium heat and stir until cheeses are melted and smooth and fondue thickens and boils, about 12 minutes.
Season fondue with nutmeg and white pepper. Place over candle or canned heat burner to keep warm. Serve with bread cubes.
This recipe yields 2 servings.