Spiced Fig Preserves
- 1/2 lemon unpeeled, thickly
- sliced and seeded
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh ripe figs halved
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick - (3" long)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Finely chop lemon in processor. Add figs. Using on/off turns, process until figs are coarsely pureed.
Transfer mixture to heavy large saucepan. Add 2 1/4 cups sugar, cinnamon stick, 2 1/4 teaspoons minced ginger and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves. Simmer until mixture thickens to jam consistency and candy thermometer registers 200 degrees, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
Discard cinnamon stick. Divide hot preserves among hot clean jars. Cover tightly and refrigerate up to 2 months.
This recipe yields about 3 1/2 cups.