- 1 pound dried rotini pasta
- kosher salt
- 1 pound hot or mild ground Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced pepperoni
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Season liberally with salt, about 1 tablespoon. Cook pasta for 6-7 minutes. Strain. Pasta will be firm.
3. In a large skillet brown Italian sausage, about 5 minutes. Strain.
4. In the same pan you cooked the sausage stir together bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms and pepperoni. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables soften. Return sausage to pan. Stir to combine. Add in pasta and pizza sauce. Mix well. Remove from heat.
5. To bake one casserole: Place half of the casserole mixture into a 8″ x 8″ glass casserole dish. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove. Top 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
6. Serve immediately.