Red Lentil Dal
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried red lentils see * Note
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup basmati rice cooked according
- to package directions
- 2 plum tomatoes seeded, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño chili seeded, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
* Note: Available at Indian markets and in many supermarkets.
Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion and 1 minced garlic clove and sauté until tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Combine 3 cups water, lentils, remaining 1 cup onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, turmeric, cumin and ginger in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
Transfer half of lentil mixture to processor; purée until smooth. Return purée to same saucepan. Mix in sautéed onion mixture. Simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon rice into bowls. Spoon dal over. Top with tomatoes, cilantro and chili.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 410; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0.