- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 eggplants - (1 lb ea) unpeeled, and cut into 1" cubes
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 zucchini cut into 1" pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1" pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1" pieces
- 2 3/4 pounds ripe tomatoes seeded, and coarsely chopped - (abt 6 cups)
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add eggplants and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add zucchini and bell peppers; sauté 5 minutes. Mix in tomatoes, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender and flavors have blended, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
Discard bay leaf; stir in basil. Season ratatouille generously with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Serve cold, warm or hot.
This recipe yields 8 servings.