Roast Chicken with Salsa Verde and Roasted Lemons
This crisp and juicy roast chicken from star chef Jonathan Waxman of NYC's Jams is perfect with his chunky seven-herb salsa verde.
- One whole 4-pound chicken, backbone removed, chicken halved lengthwise
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 lemons, halved crosswise
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped arugula
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped tarragon
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped sage
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Preheat the oven to 450°. Arrange the chicken skin side up on a rack set over a baking sheet. Rub with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Place the lemons cut side down on the rack. Roast the chicken for about 40 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Let rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a mortar or blender, mash the capers with the anchovies and garlic until a paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in the remaining 1 cup of olive oil. Stir in the herbs; season with salt.
Carve the chicken; arrange on a platter with the lemons. Serve with the salsa verde.
The salsa verde can be refrigerated overnight; serve at room temperature.
Pair this dish with a lemony, medium-bodied Sicilian white.
You'll also love
- Carrot Peanut Butter Dog Cupcakes 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- My First Holiday Turkey! 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Whole Pot-Roasted Cauliflower With... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Smoked Ham, Brie & Cranberry... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Heidi Swanson's Summer Squash Soup... 3.9/5 (10 Votes)
- Grilled Whole Fish with Chile &... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- 3 Crab Salad with Lemon Dressing 4.4/5 (5 Votes)