Queso Fundido With Sausage And Chipotle Chilies
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausages casings removed
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chilies see * Note
- 10 ounces Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 12 flour or corn tortillas - (6" dia)
* Note: Canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce are available at Latin American markets and most supermarkets.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sauté sausages and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat until brown, breaking up clumps of sausage with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Mix in 1/2 cup cilantro and 1 teaspoon chipotle chilies.
Transfer mixture to 9-inch-diameter baking dish. Mix cheese and remaining 1/2 cup cilantro and 1 teaspoon chipotle chilies in medium bowl. Sprinkle cheese mixture over sausage mixture. Bake casserole 10 minutes.
Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil. Place tortillas in oven to heat through. Continue to bake casserole until cheese bubbles, about 10 minutes. Serve casserole with warm tortillas.
This recipe yields 4 servings.