Eggplant & Tomato Stackers
Eggplant is one of those vegetables you're not sure what to do with sometimes. This solution is delicious and quite impressive when served
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch (i cm) slices
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 ball mozzarella, sliced
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Combine the egg and milk and mix in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine the panko breadcrumbs, cumin, salt, and pepper and mix.
Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof saute pan over medium heat. Dip the eggplant first into the wet mixture, then into the dry mixture. Cook until golden brown, turning once.
Once the eggplant is turned, put a slice of tomato, some basil, and a slice of mozzarella on top of each eggplant slice. Place the stackers into a preheated oven at 35o°F (i8o°C) for 5-8 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese starts to melt. Serve immediately.