Pureed Broccoli And Roasted Garlic Canapes
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 16 baguette slices, 1/2" thick
- 2 cups broccoli florets plus
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced peeled stalks from abt 8 oz of
- 1 cup canned cannellini (white kidney beans) rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine garlic, oil and crushed red pepper in small custard cup. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until garlic is tender, about 35 minutes. Cool slightly. Arrange baguette slices in single layer on baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes.
Steam broccoli florets and stalks until very tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Drain. Transfer to processor. Add cannellini, lemon juice and oil-and-garlic mixture. Process until smooth. Season broccoli puree with salt and pepper. (Toasts and broccoli puree can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Store toasts airtight at room temperature. Cover and chill puree.)
Spread broccoli puree atop toasts. Transfer canapés to platter and serve.
This recipe yields 16.
Per Canapé: calories, 53; total fat, 2g; saturated fat, 0.5g; cholesterol, 0mg.