Power Waffles With Yogurt, Bananas And Almonds
- 2 1/2 cups warm light soy milk (105 to 115 deg) (or nonfat milk) see * Note 1
- 1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour see * Note 2
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites beaten to blend
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - (3/4 stick) melted, (or vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 6 bananas sliced
- Honey or pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
* Note 1: Soy milk is available at some supermarkets and most natural foods stores.
* Note 2: Buckwheat flour is sold at some natural foods stores and specialty foods stores.
Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Mix both flours, oats, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Add yeast mixture; stir to blend (batter will be thick). Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Preheat Belgian waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Mix egg whites, melted butter and baking powder into batter. Spoon 1 cup batter onto iron; spread with spatula. Cover and cook until golden and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer waffle to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat, making 6 waffles total.
Place waffles on plates. Top with yogurt, bananas, honey and almonds.
This recipe yields 6 servings.