Coconut Cake with 7-Minute Frosting
For best results, it is recommended that the frosting be made on a low humidity day.
- Homemade 7-Minute Frosting (simple syrup recipe):
- A 13x9" Vanilla or Yellow Cake (from cake mix or your favorite scratch recipe), prepared and completely cooled in pan
- Homemade 7-Minute Frosting (recipe below)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
NOTE: The cake needs to be completely cooled before it can be frosted so don't start making the frosting until it is.
Preheat a small stove burner on medium-high heat. While it's preheating, add the water to a small, heavy 1-quart saucepan; add the sugar BUT do not stir it. Place on the preheated burner and cook, undisturbed, until it reaches soft-ball stage, or 238 degrees on candy thermometer. (This may take 15-20 minutes).
A few minutes before the syrup is done, place the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large mixing bowl and beat on high speed of hand mixer until soft peaks form. (This took about 1 minute). Set aside until the syrup has finished cooking.
Pouring in a thin stream, a little at a time, very slowly beat the hot syrup on high speed of mixer into the egg white mixture over 3-4 minutes, beating constantly. Beat in the vanilla and continue beating on high speed until it holds together well and forms firm peaks, 5-7 minutes.
Immediately spread frosting on top of cake. Sprinkle shredded coconut over frosting.