Mushroom And Three-Cheese Strata
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms stemmed, caps sliced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 cups one-inch pieces Wonder Bread or other white bread - (packed) abt 12 slices
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 9 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, such as Montrachet crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese - (packed) abt 4 oz
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese - (packed) abt 4 oz
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool.
Combine bread and milk in large bowl. Let stand until milk is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Whisk half-and-half and next 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Stir in goat cheese.
Place half of bread mixture in single layer in prepared glass baking dish (bread will not cover bottom of baking dish). Top with half each of mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Fontina cheese, and half-and-half mixture. Repeat layering with remaining bread, mushrooms, Parmesan and Fontina cheeses, and half-and-half mixture. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Bake strata uncovered until firm in center, puffed and golden, about 1 hour.
This recipe yields 8 servings.