Sweet Potato Gratin
- 2 # sweet potatoes, cleaned and peeled
- 1/2 C gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/2 C sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1 T fresh garlic, finely minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, removed from stems and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375. In saucepan, heat the cream, garlic, thyme and nutmeg over medium heat until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Do not let come to a boil.
Meanwhile, using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice sweet potatoes into rounds 1/8" thick. Arrange in bottom of casserole dish overlapping in single layer. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the gruyere and cheddar cheeses. Repeat with 2 more layers. Slowly pour the cream mixture over the potatoes letting it seep into the layers.
Bake for 35-40 min until bubbly and fork tender. Let stand for 10 min. Serve warm.