Rhubarb and Raspberry Crostata
This dough with its addition of whole wheat flour for a nutty taste and tender texture, is a must in your baking repertoire."
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp whole milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups 1/2" thick slices of rhubarb (about 16 oz to 20 oz)
- 6 oz. fresh raspberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Raw Sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 135mins
Crust: Combine both flours, sugar, and salt in a processor; blend for 5 seconds. Add butter; pulse until butter is reduced to pea size pieces. Whisk egg and milk in a small bowl to blend; add to processor until moist clumps form. Gather dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill at least 1 1/2 hours. Do ahead- can be done 2 days before. Keep chilled.
Filling: Dissolve cornstarch in 3 Tbsp water in small bowl; set aside. Combine rhubarb, raspberries, and sugar in large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until sugar dissolves and juices are released, about 4 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil (rhubarb will not be tender and slices will still be intact). Transfer to a bowl. Chill until cool, about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400* degrees. Roll out dough on floured parchment paper to 12" round; brush with beaten egg. Mound filling in center of crust; gently spread out, leaving 1 1/2 inch border. Gently fold edges of dough over filling, pleating as needed. Brush border with egg; sprinkle with raw sugar. Slide parchment with crostata onto a large rimmed baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let crostata cool on baking sheet on a rack. Transfer crostata to a platter, cut into wedges, and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
You'll also love
- Mario Batali's Penne all'... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Wild Mushroom & Spring Pea... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crockpot Cabbage Tamales 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Frosty Pumpkin Squares 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Doberge Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dutch Apple Pie with Sour Cream... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Razzleberry Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Raspberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam 0/5 (0 Votes)