Lentil Soup With Roasted Vegetables
- 1 eggplant - (1 to 1 1/4 lbs) unpeeled, and quartered lengthwise
- 4 large plum tomatoes quartered lengthwise
- 1 large onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 large green bell pepper quartered, seeded
- 4 large garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups water or more if needed
- 1 1/4 cups dried brown lentils
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange first 5 ingredients on large nonstick baking sheet. Drizzle with oil. Roast vegetables 20 minutes. Turn vegetables over and roast until tender and brown around edges, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes longer. Cool slightly (do not clean baking sheet).
Scoop eggplant pulp from peel into processor; discard peel. Add onion and garlic to processor; purée until smooth. Transfer eggplant mixture to large saucepan. Coarsely chop tomatoes and bell pepper; combine in small bowl.
Add 1 cup water to baking sheet; stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add to saucepan with eggplant mixture. Add 4 cups water, lentils and cumin and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes. Mix in all but 1/4 cup tomato and bell pepper mixture. Simmer uncovered until lentils are very tender, thinning with more water if soup is too thick, about 10 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle large spoonful of yogurt over each. Top with remaining 1/4 cup tomato and bell pepper mixture and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Per serving: calories, 234; total fat, 6 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0.