Lentil Salad With Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 one-inch-thick slice red onion plus
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs plus
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 radicchio leaves
Bring medium saucepan of water to boil. Add onion slice, 3 parsley sprigs and 1 minced garlic clove and bring to boil. Stir in lentils. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until lentils are just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Discard onion and parsley.
Stir oil, vinegar, mustard and remaining garlic in small saucepan over low heat until just warm (do not boil).
Place warm lentils in bowl. Add chopped onion, chopped parsley and warm vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon salad into radicchio leaves; place 2 leaves on each of 4 plates. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 239; total fat, 8 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0.