Shrimp Fried Rice
- 3 1/2 cups cooked rice (even better if leftover)
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1.In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger powder and white pepper until smooth. Set aside.
2.Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat and cool shrimp for 2-3 minutes, or until pink and opaque.
3.Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
4.Add carrots and onions to the same pan and saute until tender. 5-7 minutes.
5.During the last 1 minute of cooking, add garlic and cook until fragrant, but not burned.
6.Transfer onions to same plate as shrimp and set aside.
7.Pour beaten eggs and egg whites into the skillet and scramble, breaking them up with your spatula as you go. Then transfer to same plate as veggies and shrimp
8.Heat remaining olive oil in skillet and, once hot, stir in leftover rice.
9.Use your spatula to form an even layer and let the rice cook, untouched, until semi-browned and crispy.
10.Flip rice over to brown the other side, then return shrimp, onions and scrambled eggs to the wok.
11.Pour in soy sauce mixture and scallions and toss to coat.
12.Transfer to bowls and serve immediately.