Fast Chicken Chili with Butternut Squash
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans unsalted cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 3 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add squash; sauté 8 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Remove squash from pan; set aside.
2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add 5 teaspoons garlic, onion, and next 7 ingredients (through red pepper) to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add stock; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
3. Place 1 cup beans in a small bowl; mash with a potato masher or a fork. Add mashed beans, remaining 1 cup beans, and reserved squash to pan. Cook 3 minutes. Stir in chicken; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
4. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon garlic, cilantro, and lime rind in a small bowl. Top each serving with about 1 teaspoon cilantro mixture.