Lamb Shanks With Potatoes, Parsnips And Kalamata Olives
- 6 lamb shanks - (12 to 16 oz ea)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots peeled, and cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (28 oz)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 piece orange peel - (3" by 1") orange part only
- 12 baby red-skinned potatoes
- 6 medium carrots peeled, and cut into 2" pieces
- 6 medium parsnips peeled, and cut into 2" pieces
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted
Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook lamb until brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
Reduce heat to medium. Add carrot rounds, onions and celery to pot. Sauté until vegetables are tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary and oregano. Sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with juices, 2 cups water, wine and orange peel. Return lamb to pot, pressing to submerge. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer until lamb is just tender, about 2 hours 15 minutes.
Add potatoes, 2-inch carrot pieces, parsnips and olives to pot. Simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender and lamb is very tender, about 30 minutes longer. Using slotted spoon, transfer lamb and vegetables to platter. Boil juices in pot until thickened enough to coat spoon, about 5 minutes. Discard orange peel. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
Spoon sauce over lamb and vegetables and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Tuscan White Bean Salad with... 4.4/5 (129 Votes)
- Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce 4/5 (176 Votes)
- LINGUIÇA DE LOMBO FLAMBADA NA... 4.5/5 (47 Votes)
- Rack of Lamb with Mint and Capers 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Whipped Potatoes & Parsnips with... 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Roasted parsnip crisps 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Tender Slow-Cooker Mushroom Lamb... 4.2/5 (43 Votes)
- Braised Lamb Shanks with North... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)