Eggplant with Spicy Ginger Sauce
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1/4 -inch cubes
- 1/4 cup ponzu sauce (see note)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Asian chili-garlic sauce or sambal
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
Step 1 Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, then add onions, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 2 Add 6 tablespoons water, the ponzu, chili-garlic sauce, sesame oil and half the cilantro. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender and liquid is absorbed. Serve hot, on brown rice, sprinkled with remaining cilantro.
Ponzu, a Japanese sauce, is available in Asian markets; an adequate substitute is 1 tablespoon each soy sauce, rice vinegar, water and lime juice, and 1 teaspoon sugar.