Grilled Cheddar, Mustard And Chive Sandwiches
- 1/4 cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or green onions
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices country-style white bread, 5" x 4" x 1/2" thk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 4 tablespoons butter - (1/2 stick)
Mix mayonnaise, chives and Dijon mustard in small bowl. Season with generous amount of pepper. Spread 1 side of each bread slice with mayonnaise mixture. Divide cheddar cheese among 4 bread slices, then top with remaining bread, mayonnaise-side down.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in griddle or heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches; turn to coat with butter. Cook until golden on each side and cheese melts, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to baking sheet. Keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining sandwiches.
This recipe yields 4 sandwiches.