Little Blueberry Upside-Down Cakes
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 3/4-1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Adapted from bakingbites.com
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease, with butter or oil, 6 muffin cups (6 from a 12-cup pan).
Place 1 tbsp sugar in each greased cup. Add about 2 tbsp blueberries to each cup, making sure that the bottom of each cup is well covered with berries.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, egg and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and whisk until everything is well-combined and no streaks of flour remain. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each to the top.
Tap pan firmly on the counter several times to knock out some of the air bubbles and ensure that the batter gets down between the blueberries.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with only a few crumbs attached.
Cool cakes in pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the sides of the cakes and turn them out onto a wire rack to cool before serving.
Makes 6 cakes.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (737 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (209 Votes)
- Raspberry Beignets with Vanilla... 4.6/5 (187 Votes)