Pumpkin Butter (Crock Pot)
- 4 cups pumpkin puree (fresh homemade puree from a 3 to 4 lb pumpkin or approximately 2 15oz cans)
- 1 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- a generous pinch of sea salt
Adapted from tasty-yummies.com
Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker. Stir very well to combine. Cook on low for approximately 6 hours, or until thick (this time may vary based on your slow cooker). You may have to stir it several times throughout the cooking process if it sticks. You don’t want it to burn. Every slow cooker is a bit different in how strong it is. At the end if it hasn’t thickened as much as you could like, take the lid off and let it cook a bit longer and it will reduce further.
Add it to your jars or other air tight containers and allow to cool, then store in the refrigerator.
you can add more sweetener, if you want it sweeter
if you used canned pumpkin, make sure it is pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
**please be aware: due to the lack of acidity, the USDA does not recommend that you preserve pumpkin butter by canning it. Here’s a great post from Food in Jars on why pumpkin butter can not be canned.