Pear and Dried Cranberry Clafoutis
Recipe source: Fine Cooking Oct/Nov 2015
Check the Neck: The best way to tell if a pear of any variety is ripe is to press gently near the stem. It should give slightly, but the bottom should still feel firm. Underripe pears can be stored at room temperature to ripen. Once they are ripe, they can be refrigerated for an additional three days.
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 oz. (2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. pear brandy, such as Poire Williams
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract or paste
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 firm-ripe pears (about 1-1/2 lb.)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Adapted from finecooking.com
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F. Butter an 11x1-1/2-inch round baking dish or an 11- to-12-inch ovenproof skillet and sprinkle the bottom and sides with 1 Tbs. of the sugar.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, mix in the cream, flour, brandy, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, peel, core, and chop the pears into 3/4-inch chunks. Arrange the pieces evenly in the baking dish or skillet. Pour the batter over the pears, sprinkle the dried cranberries evenly over the surface, and bake until the top is golden brown and the custard is set, 20 to 25 minutes in a skillet or 30 to 35 minutes in a baking dish. Cool briefly and serve warm, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
You'll also love
- Green Papaya Salad with Tomatoes... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Curried Shrimp Toasts 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Southern Sausage and Corn Bread... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Roast Pineapple 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Strawberry... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Blueberry Oatmeal Chocolate Chip... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Pear and Goat Cheese Salad with... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Kale Salad with Cranberry... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)