Lentil Soup with kale & sausage.
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bunch black kale, stemmed and chopped
- A few gratings fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry white or red wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils
- Shaved Pecorino cheese, for serving
Heat the EVOO in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned. Add the garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, carrots, onions and potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the kale and nutmeg. Add the wine to deglaze the pot, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Stir in the chicken stock and 2 cups water and bring to boil (for thicker soup, use 2 cups less liquid).
Stir in the lentils and cook at a low, bubbly simmer until the lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the rosemary stems and bay leaves.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a drizzle of EVOO and the shaved Pecorino.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Bread with Brown Butter... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sauteed Corn, Greens, Bacon and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sausage, Peppers and Onions 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Appetizers - Southwest Artichoke... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dips - Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Salsas - Black Bean Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lentil and Chicken Sausage Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tuscan Kale Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)