Sausage and Lentil Soup
- 1 pound green lentils
- 3 t olive oil
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion (about 1 large); diced
- 1-1/2 cup celery (about 4 stalks); diced
- 1-1/2 cup carrots (about 2-3 large); diced
- 1-1/2 cup zucchini (about 1 small); diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic; minced
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cup chicken broth
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes; undrained
- grated parmesan cheese
In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for
15 minutes. Drain.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add in the
Italian sausage. Brown the sausage until it is cooked through.
Add in the onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, garlic, herbs and spices.
Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
Add the chicken stock, canned tomatoes, and drained lentils. Cover and
bring to a boil
Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1-1/2 hours or until the
lentils are cooked through and tender, stirring occasionally. Add water as
needed to adjust the consistency of the soup. (Add about two cups about
half way through the cooking time).
Check the seasonings - add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled
with grated Parmesan.
You'll also love
- Chipotle Corn Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- blintz casserole with blueberry... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smothered Slo Cooker Chili Verde... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Buttermilk Chive Chicken Breast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sausage, Peppers and Onions 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Homemade Summer Sausage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Salsas - Black Bean Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Kung Pao Snow Peas 0/5 (0 Votes)