Dungeness Crab Chowder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 4 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon finely-chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup diced scallions
- 4 cups chicken stock hot
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 2 cups cooked Dungeness crab meat
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a 5 quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the peppers and corn and saute for 2 minutes over high heat. Add garlic, thyme and cumin; saute for 2 minutes.
Add scallions and saute for another minute. Add hot chicken stock and cornstarch mixture. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes.
Season the chowder with Tabasco to taste, then add the cooked crabmeat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish the individual servings with chopped scallions.
This recipe yields 8 servings.