Curried Lentil, Tomato And Lamb Stew
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound trimmed boneless lamb sirloin cut into 1" pieces
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 3 carrots peeled, and thickly sliced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Add to pot; sauté until brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion, garlic and ginger; sauté 5 minutes. Add curry powder; stir 30 seconds.
Add 2 cups water and next 3 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lamb and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
Add peas to pot and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 402; total fat, 9 g; saturated fat, 3 g; cholesterol, 59 mg.
You'll also love
- Sonny's Smoked Fish 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Banana Pepper Dip 3.8/5 (39 Votes)
- Cajun Corn (Dinosaur BBQ) 3.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store's... 3.7/5 (41 Votes)
- Beef Shanks With Beans 3.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Bob's Big Boy Secret Sauce 3.7/5 (22 Votes)
- Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes and... 3.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Fudgy Black... 3.5/5 (22 Votes)