Iceberg Wedge Salad
When looking for a light, healthy snack, look no further than the iceberg wedge salad. Deceptively satisfying and flavourful, it makes a great appetizer or picnic grub as it whets your appetite whilst barely taking up much stomach real estate.
- For blue cheese dressing:
- 1 Iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1/2 medium purple onion, thinly sliced
- Chives, for garnishing
- Black pepper, to taste
- 100 g blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup low fat sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
Adapted from cookism.tumblr.com
1. Combine blue cheese dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. If you prefer to have chunks of blue cheese in your dressing, gently stir it in at the end. If the dressing is too thick for your liking, thin it with a bit more buttermilk.
2. Soak thinly sliced onion in an ice bath for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, fry prosciutto in a lightly oiled hot frying pan till crispy. Allow it to cool slightly, then cut or tear prosciutto into small chunks.
3. Cut head of iceberg lettuce into 4 to 6 wedges, then place them on serving plates. Spoon blue cheese dressing on wedges and top with onion slices and prosciutto chunks. Garnish with chives and season with black pepper to taste.