Split Pea Rarebit
- 1/2 cup split peas, cooked just tender
- 1 small onion, chopped and sauted in oil
- 1 1/2 cup raw brown rice, cooked
- Cheese Sauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- dash nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- pinch dried chili peppers
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Split Peas: 1 1/12 cups water for every cup of peas
bring water to a boil, add peas, reduce heat, partially cover
pan and simmer 30-45 minutes
Heat oil and stir in flour. Cook for about 2 minutes over low flame.
Stir in water and simmer until mixture is thick, adding salt, tomato
paste, nutmeg, mustard, worcestershire, and peppers. Gradually add
cheese and stir until melted.
Mix peas, sauteed onions, and cheese sauce together and serve over the cooked rice.