Apple-Pear Praline Pie
- 1 Recipe Nut Pastry (see recipe below)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled pears
- 3 cups thinly sliced, peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- Milk (optional)
- Granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk, half-and-half, or light cream
- 1/2 cup chopped hickory nuts or pecans
- Nut Pastry
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground toasted hickory nuts or pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 - 6 tablespoons water
Adapted from Midwestliving.com
Nut Pastry Directions
In a medium bowl combine flour, nuts, and salt. Cut in shortening until pieces are pea-sized. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture using 1 tablespoon water at a time until flour mixture is moistened. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls.
On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one pastry ball. Roll it from center to edge into a circle 12 inches in diameter. Repeat with remaining pastry.
Prepare and roll out Nut Pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with a pastry circle.
In a large mixing bowl combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Add pears and apples; toss to coat. Transfer mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Trim bottom pastry to edge of pie plate. Cut slits in remaining pastry circle; place on filling and seal. Crimp edge as desired.
If you like, brush top with milk and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Place pie in a 375 degree F oven. Place a foil lined baking sheet on the rack below pie in oven. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil from pie. Bake 20 minutes more until filling is bubbly.
After baking pie for 50 minutes, in a small saucepan melt 1/4 cup butter; gradually stir in brown sugar and 2 tablespoons milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Carefully spoon atop baked pie; sprinkle with nuts. Return to oven and bake 2 to 3 minutes or until topping starts to bubble.
Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Chinese Pork Tenderloin 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- NYT Clam Chowder 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Nutty White Chocolate and Peach... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Sausage-Spinach Stuffed Shells 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Pears with Orange-Caramel... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Roast Chicken with Pears,... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Kale and Apple Smoothie 4.6/5 (5 Votes)