Tilapia With Sweet Peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red, orange or yellow bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 1 large garlic clove sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tilapia fillets - (abt 1 1/2 lbs total) pin bones removed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
In a deep fry pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, stock, the 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Cover and cook until the peppers are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the fillets on a plate. Season on both sides with the paprika and then sprinkle with salt.
Set a large, heavy fry pan over low heat to preheat. When the peppers are nearly done, increase the heat under the empty fry pan to medium-high. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle the fillets on both sides with the flour, shaking off any excess. Add the fillets to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn the fillets over and cook until just opaque throughout, about 3 minutes.
Stir the vinegar into the peppers and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the fillets to individual plates. Spoon the peppers over and alongside the fillets and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.