How to Make a Killer Spaghetti Carbonara in Four Simple Steps
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino Romano, plus extra for serving
- 3 large eggs and 3 large yolks at room temperature
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 5 ounces slab pancetta, guanciale, or best-quality bacon, 1/4-inch cubes
Adapted from wsj.com
Place a large pot of lightly salted water (no more than 1 tablespoon salt) over high heat, and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions until just al dente. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta water.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, yolks and cheeses until well combined. Season with a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add guanciale and sauté until just beginning to crisp, 5 minutes.
Reduce heat, add drained pasta, and toss to combine and finish cooking. Off heat, toss in egg-cheese mixture and add just enough reserved pasta water to form a creamy sauce. Serve topped with more grated pecorino and pepper.