Chef John's Shrimp Cocktail
- Cocktail Sauce:
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- Onions Red Fresh
- 1 lb For $1.48 - Expires in 2 days
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and bruised
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 pounds shell-on deveined jumbo shrimp
Stir water, onion, lemon, garlic, tarragon, seafood seasoning, peppercorns, and bay leaf together in a large pot; bring to a simmer and cook until flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
Whisk ketchup, chili sauce, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt together in a bowl; refrigerate until chilled, at least 15 minutes.
Bring poaching liquid to a rapid boil. Cook the shrimp in the boiling liquid until they are bright pink on the outside and the meat is no longer transparent in the center, about 5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl of ice water and immerse in ice water until cold; drain. Arrange cold shrimp on a platter and serve with chilled sauce.