Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 5-6oz pkg Uncle Bens chicken flavored wild rice
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of flour
1. In a large pot, combine 2cups chicken broth and rice (without seasoning packet). Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer for 20 mins (or per pkg instructions). Set aside.
2. In a separate medium sauce pan, melt butter. Sauté onions, carrots and celery for 5 mins.
3. Stir in seasoning packet from rice in with the vegetables. Sauté for 5 mins.
3. In a small bowl combine flour with 1/2 tsp pepper. Then slowly add flour mixture to vegetables while stirring continuously, until a roux forms (3-4 mins to cook out raw flour taste)..
4. Slowly whisk in the half and half and heavy cream until fully incorporated. Cook for 5 min or until thick.
5. While vegetable/cream mixture thickens, add 6 cups of broth into rice. Also add chicken (cooked,shredded), over medium heat.
6. Slowly add cream mixture to broth/rice. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 mins or until thickened.
7. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.
8. If needed, make a separate roux of butter and flour to add if soup is not thick enough.