Baked Eggs With Zucchini Ragout
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound medium zucchini trimmed, and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (28 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 thin slices Italian bread toasted
Heat oil in large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add zucchini; cover and cook until tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices and red pepper; boil uncovered until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in basil. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; let stand at room temperature.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make 4 shallow indentations in ragout, spacing apart. Crack 1 egg into each indentation. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until eggs are softly set, about 10 minutes.
Place 1 toast slice on each of 4 plates. Divide egg-topped ragout on top of toast.
This recipe yields 4 servings.