These breakfast egg rolls can be a fun change to your breakfast routine! The outside is perfectly crunchy and is filled with creamy eggs, gooey cheese, slightly crunchy veggies, salty sausage, and yummy black beans! It's hearty, it's delicious, and you're going to be hooked after one bite!
- 6-8 oz breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mexican styled shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 eggroll wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 11mins
Adapted from showmetheyummy.com
1. Start by cooking your sausage in a skillet over medium - medium high heat. Remove from heat, and set aside in a bowl when the sausage is fully cooked through and no pink remains. Break the sausage up with a spatula during the cooking process.
2. In the same skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter and add in diced onion, red and green pepper. Cook until the peppers are softened to your liking, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
3. Again, in the same skillet, melt another tablespoon of butter and add in whisked eggs. Cook until *almost* set. The eggs will still be a little runny and shiny, but you'll remove the pan from the heat, and they will continue to cook. Add in cooked sausage, veggies, cheese, and black beans. Mix together and season with more salt to your liking.
4. Now, lay an egg roll wrapper on your counter at an angle. It should look like a diamond. About ½ inch from the bottom corner, place 2 tablespoons of the egg mixture. Take the bottom corner of the egg roll wrapper and lift it up and over the mixture.
5. Next, take the right corner and fold it to the center. Do the same with the left corner.
6. Now just roll until you only have a little triangle left at the top of the egg roll wrapper. Wet the seam with water, and continue rolling.
7. Now, comes the frying part! Let me tell you IT IS NOT HARD! I promise. Fill the saucepan with about 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. Once the oil reaches 325 degrees F you can start cooking the egg rolls! I'd suggest cooking them one at a time. It should take less than 30 seconds. Flip the egg roll over and move it around a little bit to ensure even cooking. When they're done, they will be golden brown.
8. Once golden brown, remove from the oil and set onto a paper towel to drain.
9. Serve immediately with sour cream and salsa and enjoy!