Pipérade With Poached Eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 andouille sausages cut diagonally
- into 1/2"-thick slices
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers seeded, deribbed, and cut into 1/4"-thick slices
- 3 large tomatoes peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 8 slices country-style bread, 1/2" thick toasted
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausages to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion, garlic and bell peppers and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sausages, tomatoes and red pepper flakes, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes are soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and keep warm.
Poach the eggs in an egg poacher according to the manufacturer's instructions. Place 2 slices of toast on each of 4 plates. Spoon the pipérade over the toasts and top each with a poached egg.
This recipe yields 4 servings.