Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms rinsed (available at Italian markets and many supermarkets)
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups finely-chopped onions
- 12 ounces crimini mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh marjoram
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Bring broth to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Add porcini and simmer until just tender, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to plate. Cool mushrooms and chop finely. Cover broth and keep warm over very low heat.
Melt butter with oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add crimini mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add porcini, garlic and both herbs; sauté 4 minutes. Add rice; stir 2 minutes. Add wine; cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
Add 1 cup hot broth; simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Continue to cook until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, adding more broth by cupfuls and stirring often, about 30 minutes.
Mix in 1/2 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, passing additional cheese separately.
This recipe yields 6 first-course or 4 main-course servings.