Chicken Carne Asada Tacos with Pickled Onions
We replaced beef with seasoned chicken for a fresh take on this traditional Mexican dish. Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium red onion, thinly vertically sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup diced peeled avocado (about 1 avocado)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Cotija cheese
- Lime wedges (optional)
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Place onion in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; drain and plunge onion in ice water. Drain onion; add to juice mixture. Chill until ready to serve.
2. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken with oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned and done, stirring occasionally.
3. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide chicken evenly among tortillas. Drain onion; divide evenly among tortillas. Top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons avocado and 1 tablespoon cheese; fold over. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.