Sausage & Exotic Mushroom Stuffing
Use either mild or hot Italian sausage, or your favorite type of sausage in this versatile dressing recipe. If there is too much stuffing for the size of your bird, bake the extra in a covered casserole dish until heated through.
- 1 pound fresh pork sausage
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sliced oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups small chanterelle mushrooms or sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups cubed rustic bread
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Preheat oven to 325ºF.
Remove casings from sausages. Cook sausage meat in large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up into small pieces with wooden spatula, for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet.
Add shallots, garlic, celery, carrots and sage and sauté for 8 minutes or until golden. Add butter and stir until melted.
Add oyster and chanterelle mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are softened. Add white wine and boil until wine evaporates. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape into large bowl. Add bread and parsley and toss to combine.
Drizzle chicken stock over stuffing mixture to moisten. Pour into greased 10-cup casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Roll 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Vampire Black Bean & Lots of... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Balsamic Onion-Stuffed Pork Loin 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spiced Pork (Tenderloin) with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Black Bean, Mushroom & Spinach... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Potato Casserole with Cheese and... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spooky Deviled Eggs with Bacon 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Margaritas 5/5 (1 Votes)